The Power of Prayer by Rev. John Baker

Power of Prayer

I have been on earth long enough now not to assume anything, so let me begin by talking about what prayer means. In addition to a definition, I will try to express the power of prayer in my estimation. I found prayer to be a solemn request for help or expression of thanks expressed to God on an object of worship. With that being said, let see what prayer can do.

Prayer and meditation can influence our state of mind, which then can affect our state of the body. It can help with anxiety, sadness, blood pressure, sleep, digestion, and breathing. It also can influence our thinking. So why then would I begin this blog in this fashion? Simply because God created or formed us to be social beings, meaning that the key to co-existence is communication, just as we communicate with each other. There must be communication with God, which is done by prayer. 

However, when we communicate with God, there must be one critical component, that being faith. The scripture reminds us in Phil 4:19, “But my God shall supply all you need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” This means that if I need anything in keeping with God’s will, I can get it.

So, the question is, how much, or to what extent, do we believe in God and his ability to honor his word. Then with this thought in mind, if our prayers are to have any power, we must take Joshua’s stance “Choose ye this day whom you will serve, as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.” I am only saying in my humble opinion that prayer and faith go hand and hand. I know this because Jesus states in John 13:14, “In whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”

There is a whole chapter in the book of Hebrews, namely chapter 11, that a list of believers took God at his word, and many miracles occurred. And when I think of the power of prayer, I am settled on this fact. it is written in Psalm 24:1, “The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof; the world and they that dwell therein.” Since everything belongs to God, He will not withhold from us what we will ask in faith. 

So, the power of prayer rests in this scripture; Mark 11:24 “Therefore, I say unto you what things every you desire, when you pray, believe that you receive them and ye shall have them.”

Then the power is not in the prayer but in God and your steadfast belief in him and His power to make it happen. Amen


Comments

  1. SO WELL SAID THANK YOU PASTOR J LEWIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. “……the question is, how much, or to what extent, do we believe in God and his ability to honor his word. “
    That part was for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment